Swistle wrote today about “Mom Style”. What do you remember about your Mom when you were little.
I don’t talk much about my Mom here. We have an odd relationship, once I hit my teens she turned from Mother to Friend. Now that I am grown we might talk on the phone once a month. I want more from her but this seems to be plenty on her end. That being said these are the things I remember in regard to style, clothing, makeup, accessories.
- turquoise leg warmers- 4 babies= lots of time with Jane Fonda in our living room
- wide white elastic belt with a huge butterfly buckle
- nail polish
- eyelash curler
- shimmery eye shadow
- hot rollers
- home perms/home hair color (and the smells!)
- white gold necklace with a pearl and diamond pendant
- antique vanity table with lighted magnifying mirror
- red maternity pants with plaid top- she hated this outfit but seemed to wear it a lot
- stretchy silver watch
- white dr scholls sandals, wooden soles with the brass buckle over the top.
- tube tops
- huge sunglasses, dark lenses with clear and red frames
There is more but it starts to blend into other areas of her life. Hobbies of sewing everything from costume’s to drapes and painting the front window for Halloween and Christmas, baking wedding cakes, pies, cooking everything from scratch, gardening and candle making, canning fruit. I don’t remember her ever being bad at anything she tried when it came to keeping herself busy. I wish she would have taken the time to teach us 4 girls how to sew and crochet and bake but raising 4 kids and doing these things must have been hard enough. She did however teach us how to clean, maybe that is how she got it all done? We scrub the toilets and vacuum while she cooks.
As I look back at all of this it makes me wonder what my kid(s) will remember about me from when they were small. If I have boys it will be much different than if I have a girl. I imagine it will be more along the lines of chocolate cookies and super soakers than red toes and lots of shoes. Still, I hope one day I have this conversation. Just for fun.
What do you remember about your Mom when you were small?