We had a few firsts today. We drank from a sippy, since he is refusing a bottle, tried prunes, and and cut the boy’s hair! Last month it all fell out, except this little patch right at the top of his head and of course the mullet. The top just kept growing and growing. I am afraid of trimming the back, that is some super soft baby flesh back there. If I were to nick him,, oh the tears I would cry! Here is a before and after… looks like a little buzz cut now.
Okay now, it is only fair if I now out myself. Stuff that I do that makes Mike KraZe!
1. My half of the closet is a sty! I always have a pile on the floor. Its mostly because I don’t have enough drawer space but still, I could pick it up. My half is of course what you have to trip over to get to his side. I try to keep the clothes folded that are on the floor but it is still a bit of a mess.
2. I leave my dishes at the computer desk, its usually cluttered in magazine clippings, recipes, and scrapbook stuff, despite the fact this is a shared space, I totally own it.
3. I don’t put his t-shirts away right. He has 3 drawers and 2 bins for t-shirts, I’ll be damned if I can remember his categories. Plain white and workout are as good as it gets.
4. I go behind him after he does the dishes and re-wipe the counters. He hates that but he leaves puddles all over.
5. The top of my head flys right off if the dog licks his foot for more than 8 seconds. I yell at him to stop 12 times per day. Mike thinks I need to get over/used to it, dog is early 8 and I still cant take it.
6. I let candles burn all day, and in rooms I am not in! On elevated, safe surfaces. Oh NO! (this should have been on his list- as soon as I turn my back he blows them out)
I am sure there are more, but right now that’s all I can come up with.
Since I have nothing to write about today, unless you would like to hear about my trip to the grocery store?? No, okay then.
Let’s out some crap that our husbands do that drive us crazy. (Love you babe!) But by crap I mean stuff that’s pretty lame and not really worth complaining about but makes us nuts all the same. I can do this because Mike knows, I don’t pull any punches or use a poker face. he knows… and he reads this so I am really putting my butt on the line. In his defence, he tries to correct his little habits but he has a hard time remembering, and I am SUPER picky, so there’s that. In fact, I see a lot of this face…
1. He trims his sideburns over my sink (where the outlet is) and NEVAH rinses the hair.
2. When his soap dispenser runs out, he drains mine but not without getting soap all over the container. He could just refill his own, or you know, wait me out and I will do it.
3. Globs of toothpaste, in the sink and massive buildup on the tube itself.
4. He is a great doggy owner, brushes Bruno’s teeth every other night. There are white splatters all over my kitchen (cabinets, stove, dishwasher) from the doggy toothpaste.
5 He dirties THREE outfits per day! (you know who does the laundry)
6. He will wash pots by hand, lay out a towel and put them there to dry,, for all of eternity! I always end up putting them away. Always.
Okay so they are all very small and not a big deal, but who doesn’t love to get it out a little?
It’s a crummy day today, chilly and raining. But this crummy is a sign of improvement. Its not 20 or snowing! Spring, she is on her way. My bulbs have all popped up in the past week giving me great hope that a change is coming soon. Until then, I can do the rain. I am from Washington so that makes me half duck. When it rains my dad always says, nice day if your a duck. Okay then.
I know that I am not the only one who freaks out every time the Air Book commercial comes on right? I tell Mike every night. “Dude, I SO want that, LOOK it fits in an interoffice mailer!” I love it. He replies, squashing my hope, “So, this delusion also includes our house being wireless.” - “Um, Yeah! If I had it Nate and I would hang out in bed all day.” Then I shut up, realizing that I have just lost my own imaginary battle.
I so want these shorts for the chunker’oo. But do you order something that is $7 and pay $5 for shipping? I will look at the store instead, shipping is a racket, plus we have an Old Navy about 2 miles away. One more reason to look forward to summer, having those chubby legs and feet out for me to kiss all day.
I have chosen a color for the door but am not telling. I will show you when its finished. I also have some landscape plans now. I can’t wait to have a nice looking yard with COLOR! It will be a process that could take all summer but it should be fun. I’m going to break it up and do one bed at a time so it’s not too overwhelming.
So what are you guys doing once the weather changes? Or, am I the only one who is waiting on pins and needles.
Man, you guys did well! I had to put some serious though into a few of these (I’m talking to you Sarah!). Thanks for playing! Fell free to ask more if any of these spark a new one. This is pretty fun.
1. Marlee asks- How did we choose Nathan’s name. This may seem sooo lame but here is the story. There was a show on several years ago called “The Days.” It was about a family and there was a little boy, about 8, named Nathan. I immediately liked the name but as the season went on I started to fall in love with his character. He was a smart, quite, well behaved boy who was a little dorky. Everything I expect our kids to be, heavy on the dorky. I remember telling Mike that I really loved the name, he did too. We never looked back even though it was a good 3 or 4 years ago. Riley is my maternal Grandmothers maiden name. Mike’s family is big on using family names. I had to decide if I should do it or not. My Dads family is Jewish, in the culture you do not name a child after a living family member, plus, we were keeping the name a surprise and I wasn’t sure if I needed to ask her permission. Obviously, we went with it. It could be worse, I have a sister who was named after Stacy on TJ Hooker. hahah- really. Betcha didn’t think I’d remember that, did you Dad?
2. Dad asks- how long I’m going to be at this SAHM bidness. In a perfect world, I will be home until kid #2 is in kinder-garden. Then I would like to do volunteer work for another non-profit OR maybe even get a real job. However, should I loose my mind or we have some catastrophic financial nightmare, either could send me back to work. Hopefully neither of those will happen, so far the loosing my mind is more of a possibility.
3. Sarah asks- Deserted Island- 4 items- GO!- Dude, I hated this question. I thought about it all day and even ran my answers by Mike. I had joked before like, a margarita machine, a string bikini, a cabana boy,, oh you get the picture. This time, I had to answer for real. I’m about to bore you all with my practicality. 1. a knife- so I can eat the fruit I am hoping that the island has an abundance of. 2. Sunscreen. I burn, fast and badly. 3. a toothbrush. 4. a large pad of paper with a pen tied to the spiral. For writing the crazy stuff that will no doubt run thru my mind as I waste away to my dream weight with the best tan of my life.
Items that almost made the list, matches for cooking small animals- barbecue sauce- so I could choke down said animals. nail clippers, glasses-I am hoping that I am wearing them when I arrive.
4. Lizzy asks- How Long were Mike and I married before I got Preg, and did we have any backup names for Nugget turned Nate. – Four and a half years. It would have been sooner if Mike weren’t a professional student, we waited until he was finished with school and we were settled. You can read all about the adventure, if you’d like, here. Backup name? We had half of a girl name, just in case but no alternate boy name. We were both so set on it, I honestly never though he did or didn’t look like a Nathan Riley, I love his name that much. That’s also why we didn’t share it before he was born, didn’t want anyone telling us that they have an aunt who’s dog was named Riley and he ate the neighbor kid,,, you wont believe the crap people tell pregnant woman!
5. Jamie asks- If I could travel anywhere in the world? This has stipulations, I want to go to Paris, Mike has already been. So, our dream joint no kids along vacation? a 14 day Mediterranean cruise. We love cruising! It’s easy, you don’t have to speak the native language (mostly) and you don’t have to rent a car. We are a disaster when it comes to getting lost!
6. Amy, what CD? I cant get enough of the Cold War Kids! I have had this since November and I am still devouring it. Because you are my new reader and you asked me to do the list, i will give you my IPOD play list which you asked. So- these are the artists.
A tribe called quest/Ani Difranco/the beastie boys/ben folds five/built to spill/butterfly boucher/carbon leaf/Fiona Apple/Franz Ferdinand/Keane/The Killers/ll cool J/Marcy Playground/Maroon 5/Modest Mouse/The Raconteurs/ Run DMC/U2/Weezer/White Stripes/Wolfmother—- that’s such a sad list. I have a confession to add, I dont know how to upload music to it. Mike swears its super easy but he has always done it for me. I just give him a stack and he does it. Am so lame! –ps. I fixed the links in yesterdays post to older lists of randomness.
7. Kathie- What has been the hardest adjustment as a new Mummy (love Mum- she’s so cute, and due in 2 weeks!) and was there anything that surprised me that I hadn’t thought of prior to birth. Please read this as my experience only! Not as a hard fast every mother suffering sort of thing- You too ,ALI! Any men reading can just look away.
The hardest adjustment has got to be sleep. Before having Nate I was a 9 hour a night girl, less than that and I was white knuckling the diet coke all day. Those first 10-12 weeks I was a mess. I forgot to take my exit, I’d get in the shower wearing my glasses, I was such a zombie that my absentmindedness was an actual danger to me. I quickly realized that I should not drive, it was scary. There is no reaction time, its more like – huh, whaaa? It was the hardest part by far. There is no way to know how hard it will be, or to prepare for it, I hope it wont be that bad for you. If it is, take the help that is offered to you. When someone is on the way over and they ask if you need anything, give them a grocery list- they wont care. You have to take care of yourself.
What was harder than I thought, or what was a surprise. Breastfeeding. Truly! Nathan was a pro, he latched properly and learned quickly. Thank GOD! What was hard was my body adjusting (still is hard actually) the pain associated with it blew my mind. I knew your nipples would hurt. I didn’t know that it would make me nauseous, nearly gagging each feeding. I would feel so dizzy, almost drunk, the pain would shoot through my right arm (always the same arm no matter which breast) and into my hand. It hurt in my neck and my shoulder blades. I just had no idea that it was a full upper body event! I cried so much, I was sad, I was angry that it was so hard, I was upset that it was this hard and it had to be done so frequently, why cant he just be full for a few hours, rather than one or two. All I wanted was to feed this baby yet it was just killing me. Up every two hours and not just awake but sick, sick from the pain, sick from the exhaustion. The good thing here is, most of this goes away and fairly quickly. Most with in the first 2-3 weeks, the pain of the milk let down took a little longer, maybe 8 weeks. I still feel it now but its not the same, I doesn’t hurt. If you’re interested in a small amount of assvise on this, prepare before hand. I used Lanisoh on my skin for a few weeks before deliver and didn’t have any cracking or bleeding! Just a small amount at night before bed. Also, get some supplies so you have them when you need them. I used breast shields which keep you from touching your clothing, and used a gel patch (made by Playtex) on my skin when they were getting really raw. Have a load of Tylenol on hand. I was not given any RX pain killers after birth (WHY!!??) don’t be afraid to take some to take the edge off, it is safe for the baby. That’s plenty, if you have any other questions about this or anything else your about to go thru you are more than welcome to email me.
I think that’s it! I hope you guys liked that, maybe learned a little more about me?
Thanks for playing!!!
One year ago today I started forcing my life upon you all. I cant believe its been a year already and I cant believe how much my life has changed in such a short time.
When Dad suggested I start writing on-line I cringed a little. I wasn’t sure how to do this, how do you choose what to share, what to keep private and how do you write in a way that is interesting. What if it just stinks and no one reads it? I threw all of that aside and did it anyway, after all, Dad is never wrong. After a while I was sure I wasn’t any good at it, all I did was complain about being sick and fat (I began writing at 10 weeks pregnant) but eventually I started to like writing. Even if no one was reading it, I was enjoying it and knew that one day I would like to read about this experience. Now its even more of a mess with this who am I now business but here I am, still hanging in there. I never expected that I would become a part of an on-line community. I have made several friends, some of whom I converse with more than my “real life” friends. In one year’s time this little blog has become a pretty big part of my life.
Amy at A Mom Anonymous tagged me on Friday to do a list of 7 random facts. I have been wracking my brain trying to come up with new things but after writing for a year and doing this, and this.. I can’t come up with much else. It’s either already been said or is something I choose to keep to myself. All I had was uninteresting things like, whats in my Tivo, that I subscribe to 7 magazines, I have a birthmark.. nothing at all fun or exciting. So, Amy I am very sorry to break this chain but I have an alternate proposal. How about you all ask me questions. About anything you want to know about me, as long as it’s not rude (remember my Dad and In-Laws read me) I will answer it! Either ask it in the comments or you can e-mail it to me, email@example.com
Answers will be posted tomorrow.
So after my woe is me post yesterday I took the proactive approach to this bug I had acquired. I took a nap with the baby – not with the baby but when he was napping, cant go germin’ up the kid. Anyway, I got a nap, drank tons of water, 96 oz to be exact, and took 4 doses of Zicam. Then, my perfect little child slept, he went to bed nearly an hour early (8:15) woke at 3:45 for a snack and slept until 9:45. All of that and, dudes, Im healed! I have a little bit if a runny nose but my throat and ears are fine. Fine! Incredible.
In boring ways to find/hold onto myself in this mommy gig, I have uncovered another one. So simple! I put away my adorable Petunia Pickle-bottom and got out my older red shoulder bag. I will still use my diaper bag, but when we are just running to the grocery store or Target or wherever I only need a few diapers, wipes and we are set. Now, its not my Coach or my Kate Spade (who remain in the top of my closet, I’m trying to decide if I should e-bay them? By the time I’m done toting diapers I’m sure I will want new ones) But carrying a purse, albeit a little bigger feels better and more stylish than the pickle-bottom. I feel badly about it as it was a well thought out gift but I know it’s days are not nearly over. I just need something easier for the quick errands. So anyway, I like carrying my cheap-o bag. Red makes me happy, right now, its all about the happy.
This should be about how fabulous my child is and how happy I am and gag blah gag.. all of that is true but no, that is not what this is about.
Mike comes home tonight, I have survived 7 days without him. Doing everything, for the house, pets. boy and myself. I am so glad he will be home soon. Last night Nathan slept like a darn newborn! He woke every two hours. When he woke up at one before I even knew I was on my feet i had that feeling, that spot in your throat. By the time I was back to bed I realized I also had an earache. I got up and took a vitamin C, cause what else can you do? Now I have been up since 7 (he usually sleeps until 10!- whaa) and my nose is a faucet. I’m so angry. I try so hard to stay healthy so when it gets me I get mad at myself. Did I sanitize after that trip to blockbuster? The grocery store? I’m sure I did, I have hand sanitizer in every corner of my world.
I had a list of stuff to do today and most of it will be scratched. I’m going to take it easy after getting very little sleep and hope I can get rid of this crud fast. This sure stinks! Now I have to try and keep the baby well which will be quite a challenge. I may just drop dead from lack of kisses.
Edit- 1:30- I got a good nap in and Mike called, he got on an earlier flight! He gets in at 2:30 now rather than 9:30! Sigh of relief.
There several things that I love to do, not so much hobbies but activities. Things like cooking, baking, decorating, organizing, shopping, scrapbooking, Yoga, watching movies with a big bowl of popcorn (made with my whirlypop) going for walks with Nathan and telling him about what we are looking at. You know, just stuff…. Somethings I do to keep me, me. Heidi shook her head at my bare feet this weekend, “Your toes are always red!” Yes, they are. One shade or another, I once joked that Mike had never seen my toenail unpainted, that changed when I could no longer reach my feet and he started painting them for me. Somethings you just make time for, I guess my feet are one of those things. There are a few things I need to add to it, one being hair color. My Dad literally gasped when he saw me in December, my hair has really started turning on me, that and it’s not seen a color wand since I got pregnant. I’m debating weather or not to embrace the gray or get back to coloring it, I’m leaning toward the latter. So is Mike, when I ask him he says “just color it”. I still don’t have a hairdresser here and my next trip to NC in April is too short to visit Stephanie. I may see if I can squeeze it in anyway.
So, what am I getting at? I’m still fighting a little boredom. I am happy with how things are turning out with planning my days in advance but I’m not sure if I need something new or just your inspiration? I want to know what you love to do, or what you would love to do if you were to stay home and the house were already clean. No answers of laundry or sorting your attic, that stuff wont make me whole. It may help you sleep but my attic, she’s good.
We are at the halfway mark in Mikes trip, he comes home Wednesday night. So far so good. This weekend was easy since H&E were here to keep us company, yesterday was pretty lonely. After dropping them off at the airport we went grocery shopping and I really took my time, I got myself a plant and a new notebook (for the food journal which has been more of a pile of wrappers on the counter than a list) after browsing the entire store we were home before 11, so it was a long day. Im sure that they will all feel this way until he gets back. If I’m being totally honest, it takes all I have not to let Nathan sleep with me. I haven’t, but I do hold him long after he is asleep before putting him to bed. Mike has always gone to conferences, even as a graduate student. It’s not that I haven’t been at home alone during these times, he goes to at least two a year. This time is just different, I’m sure my not working makes a big difference but having Nathan does too. I feel sad, especially when he is down for a nap or after he goes to bed at night. When he is up I’m suffocating him with snuggles. He doesn’t really know that Dad’s not home but when he calls and talks to him he freaks out, smiling and flailing all over. He listens so intently. Its adorable.
The daycare at the gym closes at noon, I haven’t been again because he has been sleeping until 10 or 10:30 (dont hate me, he gets up at 1 and 5, its not as if he is sleeping thru). By the time he’s fed and dressed the soonest I can get us out of the house is 11:30, so I have no time! So, it’s TiVo’d yoga and tapes in the basement. The weather isn’t supposed to be too bad this week, I may start digging up my flower beds, that will be some good exercise. If the winds and rain stay away we will go for walks. I know that I need the fresh air and to move or I will just be flat out depressed until Mike gets back. I will be sure to be mindful of what I am needing this week, even more-so than normal. I can’t get into a funk and be sure that Nathans days are fun and productive. I can’t become a lump on the couch. I know this makes me sound pretty co-dependant but its not that at all. I enjoy time to myself quite a bit. I am just realizing how much I love the time we all spend together at night. Those few hours before he goes to bed playing and bathing him together are such an important part of my day.
Here are some pic’s from the weekend. He is so chunky!